Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Dose of Barry

Now playing : Barry Manilow - Can't Take My Eyes Of You

Who would have thought that I actually would listen to Barry Manilow? Who's he you say? He sang Mandy, I Write The Songs, Copacabana....ring a bell yet?

Anyhoo, he has been releasing a couple of compilation songs from different times with the albums Great Songs from the 50s, Great songs from the 60s and his latest one which was just released recently, Great Songs from the 70s.
I've heard his take on the Great Songs From The 60s. He covered a couple of those oldies tracks which I really loved such as 'There's A Kind Of Hush', 'What The World Needs Now Is Love' and also the party-friendly-sing-along-song 'Can't Take My Eyes Of You'. I've heard a couple of versions for this from different singers but I think Barry's one is pretty cool. There's also another of the evergreen oldie - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. That is a difficult, difficult tune to get out of my head. It's like an old record that wouldn't stop spinning!

His latest collection from the 70s. I've not really heard it but apparently it's got some interesting list of songs in there which obviously I love..too. There's a duet in there with Melissa Manchester. Familiar name...hold on, let me google her. Ahh yes, she's famous for the song 'Don't Cry Out Loud'. :) The duet with Barry Manilow is another great-party-hand-in-hand-sing-along-song 'You've Got A Friend'. There are many cool tracks in this album such as 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', 'It Never Rains In Southern California', 'Sailing', 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word' and many many more classics.

1 comment:

Soon Yee said...

"oh mandy! when you came and you gave without taking.. and i sent you away, oh mandy!" ... "i can't smile without you..." ...... some Barry Manilow favourites! :) hehehe.. remember there was this episode in Will & Grace when Barry Manilow came to stage a consert and Will went to queue up for it?? :D