Thursday, November 09, 2006

Malaysians are friendly??

I don't think so. I still don't understand why people who visit Malaysia always say that Malaysians are such nice and friendly people. I don't know but it seems to me that over here in US, people are so much more friendly and polite. 9 out of 10 people that I meet were like "Hi, how are you?", "How's your day?", "Good morning, how are you doing?", "Thank you", "I appreciate that", "You're fantastic". But in Malaysia, we pass people and it would be like ...dead silence or people just look away from us or complete ignorance. I just went to the restroom and just as I was going to open the door, a lady walked out and she was like "Oh, I'm sorry" and she holds the door open for me. I was surprised and thanked her and went in. I mean in Penang, you would wish that they would do that, unfortunately they will most likely just let the door slam on my face. I definitely don't agree that Malaysians are friendly. I'm a Malaysian, I see that everyday...definitely not as friendly as what you'll get over here. Another thing was that it really is like a culture here that when someone sneezes, people will say "Bless you" to them. I mean, this I know but I didn't realise it happens all the time. Someone will sneeze and someone else sitting at the other end of the room will say bless you and the sneezer will say thank you. It's cute and it's really nice to hear that too. Not the sneezing la!Anyway, tonight is our 2nd last night in the US. Finally, for dinner, Ivy and I went to Chillis. We had the Jamaican Paradise magarita, chicken crispers and a very nice dessert called chocolate molten cake. Both of us shared all the 3 things because it's too much to finish. Very nice and the whole meal costed us $27.00. Again relatively ok if you live and work there.. :)

1 comment:

Soon Yee said...

i know EXACTLY what you mean... ever since i came back and ppl mention that malaysians are friendly, i'm like "WTF"?!?! when i was there, the men actually open the door for you, very much unlike the sorry excuse for men that we find here.. and you know what, i can spend hours browsing in a shop and the salesperson can still be so polite to me. Can u imagine if you go to, say.. Vincci, and try on 5 pairs of shoes and not buy any? the bloody salesperson would be more than just borderline rude!