Sunday, August 19, 2007

The grass is always greener on the other side

Now playing : Nikki Blonsky - Good Morning Baltimore

I guess each one of us is born this way. We tend to want something more, we tend to see what others have as better than ours and other people would want to have what we have. It's like a game that never ends. Maybe it's meant to be that way. Only with these thoughts do we take steps to improve ourselves. I would assume it's perfectly alright to want better things as long as it doesn't extend to become obsession and self-destruction in achieving something.
I see many people who are working or studying overseas saying that they wish they were back home. They wish they could spend more time with their family and friends. I, on the other hand wish sometimes that I was them, away in a place where the grass is greener 'not literally the grass'. Far away from home, living my life in a place where there are four seasons in a year, away from petty squabbles and savouring what it really is like to be overseas and to have the feeling of excitement of coming home for a vacation instead of the other way around. I wonder if that would be considered tasting the true meaning of life. Coming back is nothing but just a holiday. If you asked me, I don't know..but I think most of those who are living overseas, they don't mind coming back for vacation but if you ask them to stay. I doubt that would happen because the world is so much bigger out there. No matter how much one misses home, once you are out, you probably won't want to come back for good till retirement age. Some may beg to differ but that's the truth.

No comments: