Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ramblings on life

I never thought of myself as a person who dreads getting older. Years ago, I couldn’t wait to be 21. Now I’m practically drowning in the late 20’s pool and frankly it freaks me out. For one, it feels like approaching 30 is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. I have not achieved what I want to achieve nor do I know what I want to achieve other than the fact that what I want to achieve is definitely not this. Do you get what I’m trying to say? I don’t care if you don’t. :P
These days I don’t feel particularly proud of myself. I see people close to me whom I grew up with & some close friends moving forward in their lives and I admire them for it, going off to places like Australia, KL and other places and making a career for themselves. I’d like to do that too. Recently, I have been wondering a lot about moving out of Penang and maybe to KL, partly because one day my dad brought it up and asked me if I’ve ever thought of doing so (of coz I like Singapore though coz it’s clean and $$ and the system is so much better there! Education here has taken a backward step after the recent govt announcement. But anyhoo…). I told my friend, I wonder about that...just as far as wondering.. but I don’t know when or if I will ever find the guts to do it. I don’t think I’d be able to just go. But it’s a nice thought. That kind of change might be considered as a small achievement. I’m not really that brave to be honest because I tend to think too much, I’m not a change person. Change is good though, I want to embrace change. 
I just don’t look forward for my life to be like born in Penang, study in Penang, work in Penang, start a family in Penang, continue working here until the day I die. Life pretty much shapes into that, freakish but that’s life. Personally for me, my case, and I mean just my own opinion and not comparing with anyone else, not offending anyone else, I feel I got nothing to show and dreading family gatherings coz I’d be the only one who’s still here. Thus, that is why I don’t feel proud of myself anymore and lately it is like I’m having permanent PMS. Maybe I don’t have to think about moving away from here, I guess I could take baby steps and change work environment and find something new with better prospects to do. Maybe I’ve just really been doing this far longer than I really should. That could change my whole perspective.
And thus comes to the end of my post while I go scratch my eyes out looking at codes. It doesn’t feel so bad if I can solve it, but it feels horrible when your mind refuses to work.


12 comments:

Michael Bolton (ahem) said...

You'll find your way :)

Edward Cullen said...

move to Forks! :)

Victoria said...

yea welcome back to Forks! Grrrr!!

Bella Cullen said...

Edward is truly, deeply and madly in love with me.

Salman Khan said...

wow Mel, you have a bunch of "celebrity" here commenting this entry esp the entire cast of "Twilight". haha...

i think you should considering coming to KL. Yeah, like what u said, you basically spent all your life in penang and it has come to a point being in your "comfort zone". Change is good. Look at it positively and you already said, you embrace change. You already has the answer!

me la,
Zeeks

Joanne Jerrica said...

Welcome to Singapore! :)

mellim said...

Hey..I had a list of celebrities commenting, Jo! Why'd you go break the chain with your non-celebrity name? hng...

J said...

geezz... why we don't have the courage to step out of Penang? horrible isn't it... born in penang, study in penang, work in penang, start a family in penang, endless.... :(

Roy (ahhhh) Chiu said...

move to SGP, I'll bring u around! ;)


*to make up for breaking the chain :P*

Jacob Black said...

join me in La Push! it is a great place to hang out! ;)

Soon Yee said...

Edward, I wanna move to Forks too... :D

Btw, why is Michael Bolton there? Isn't he a bit too OLD to be in the list??

But on a more serious note, mello.. i understand TOTALLY where you are coming from... i sometimes feel like my life is pointless too.. and i really really just want to run away.. but i don't know where i want to run to and i don't know what i want to run away from.. i'm 27 too, remember? and i feel like i haven't achieved anything yet. am i getting too old??
I have so many mid-boggling questions but i just don't know how to ask them and i too have so many thoughts in my mind and i just don't know how to verbalize them..

whatever it is that you choose to do mello.. know that i'm always here for you :) and so are all your other true friends.. but i do hope that you come to KL.. hehe...

Michael Bolton said...

Oi....I'll sue anyone who discriminate me just because of my age.