Friday, October 12, 2007

Reminiscing the old times

Now playing : Vitamin C - Graduation (Friends Forever)

Recently I read an article in The Star about board games such as Monopoly. It reminded me of the fun times I had playing those games with my 2 cousins and my brother. We used to play Monopoly, a short stint on Cluedo and there was a few times we played Pictionary. I remembered that I have a few other board games like Scrabble, Mastermind.
my Barbie doll shoes and accessories(below)
one of my board games that is not stuffed somewhere deep in the closet(below)Those were days back in primary school. My cousin would come over my house and hang out during school holidays. We’ll play Barbie dolls, Polly Pocket, even build Lego houses. Sometimes we’ll cycle outside our houses along the road and get into arguments with the ‘children’ living opposite us. Sometimes my cousin and I would cycle to the nearby library and look at books. There was once we saw a recipe book and immediately went back to my place and started making sandwiches with ingredients like cheese, banana *gasp*, grapes *gasp again* and what not. It tasted quite nice. We sat there in the living room and ate our masterpieces while watching Hindi movies with my grandma.
Back then when we were young, I’d sleep over at my cousin’s house and vice versa. We lived just 2 houses away so it was easy for me to drag my pillow and bolster and blanket over to her place. Imagine tiny little me, carrying my pillow..scurrying over to her place. In the evenings, we’d play badminton outside our house until it was dinnertime. I used to have early dinners. 5.30pm was my dinner time.
Together with all this play time there was also tuition time, music lessons, ballet lessons that I had to take. I didn’t like ballet lessons but I don’t regret it either. I cannot at this moment imagine myself prancing around in the tight body hugging ballet costume which looks like a swimming costume anyway. I never practiced my ballet steps so I’d always make a mess in class. Sometimes I get punished but I guess I’m the type that doesn’t like to be embarrassed that way, so I had to get my act together and not humiliate myself. I stopped ballet when I reached Standard 4. The music lessons were still going on though. I loved playing my electronic keyboard a.k.a organ. I didn’t like the lessons because I was a lazy bum but come to think about it. I enjoyed playing music very much. The teacher let me take the practical exams and I got to Level 5. It’s been a while since I last practiced. I stopped music lessons I believe sometime in Form 3 or Form 4. My excuse was exams.
Now the days are gone. It’s something of the past and those are memories that I would love to cherish forever. When we entered secondary school, we didn’t really have time to play anymore. We kept out Barbie dolls and polly pockets back into our boxes. Tore down our Lego houses and packed it. Since entering high school, play time was reduced. Besides, we were already growing up, we can’t be playing Barbie dolls no more. At times before we also played 2 player computer games like Bubble trouble. We were addicted to that but I couldn’t recall at what age did we play that. More and more time was spent studying, going to tuition, after school activities, doing homework and worrying about exams. Years later, I graduated from high school and started my college life. When I was young, I played a lot of girl toys as well as boy toys too…FOR KIDS!~! What you thinking??!! I will always reminisce the good old times because I had a nice childhood surrounded by sleepovers, sandwich experiments, board games, badminton, TV, ballet lessons *eck*, music lessons, tuition (that’s like mandatory, I had no choice) and some toys.

No comments: