Saturday, January 26, 2013

My 1st attempt at butter cake

The recipe was simple, the ingredients were minimal... It was just music to my ears. I have done cheesecake before in a class and boy, that was too much work. Now butter cake was a lot simpler. I got the recipe from my dear aunt. I have made it twice now but it wasn't perfect. It didn't flop but it wasn't perfect enough for me. The bottom got burnt but the rest is edible and it was a tad dry. Probably the temperature was too high and i placed it to low on the rack. Nevertheless, I think I would be able to improve it after a few more tries and knowing the right temperature for my oven. Now I am by no means an expert in this, I still need to try it out few more times before it becomes the soft, moist cake that I love.

All I needed was :
250gm of salted butter (preferably Golden Churn or SCS)
220gm of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
5 eggs
220gm of self raising flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of milk
1 tablespoon of milk powder

My first comment when I saw this was... Hey, so I just dump all this in a bowl and beat it up? The laughter I heard next proved I was totally useless at baking. Ok, the answer is no. I have to first mix the butter and the sugar. Then add on the vanilla and eggs one by one. Beat them till they are white and fluffy at high speed.
The first time I did it, I dumped all the flour into the mix after that and beat it well and fast (after sieving of course). Wrong again... I have to put the sieved flour in and fold it bit by bit. So what I did the second time was sieve the flour, baking powder and milk powder in a separate bowl. Once my butter and sugar mix is well beaten with egg and all, I put the flour into the mix bit by bit. No hard and fast mixing now. Just fold it slowly. Apparently it has something to do with folding and air getting into it that makes it fluffy. Finally I add in the milk, fold a bit more and voila. Time to bake.

I guess 180C would be the right temperature for 45 minutes. I need to experiment that a bit more.
Anyway, it was interesting baking that, it wasn't perfect but for a first timer...I think I did OK! It really cheered me up and distracted me from something that was bothering me. The process isn't fun nor is the cleaning but the end result was satisfying.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

slurpppp.....

1.45am and I'm working.

Check out your blog...now making me hungry...arghhhh