Thursday, May 22, 2008

Manchester United triumphs!

I woke up at 4.45am and quickly stumbled to my computer to check the final results of the Champions League finals between MU and Chelsea. Gosh! Stalemate fulltime at 1-1 with a goal each from Ronaldo and Lampard...I thought I would get a result by now. So I went back to bed for 15 minutes and got back up as my dad switched on the TV to see the 2nd period of extra time. The supremacy of it boiled down to a penalty shootout. All fans would have been stricken when they saw Ronaldo's spot kick saved by Cech. As I watched Terry stroll towards the spot to take the kick that might have ultimately handed the trophy to Chelsea. He smugly adjusted his captain's armband as if saying that he will be a hero captain. He wasn't! He missed the goal by a mile as MU's hopes came back alive. Level again. Terry sat sobbing in devastation. Finally, Anelka steps up and the hero of the day was MU's Van Der Sar as he saved the kick at the crucial moment and Manchester United are champions. Every red shirt ran towards the goalkeeper in joy as the camera focused back on Mr Chelsea, Terry, still sobbing uncontrollably as I did a little victory dance in my head.
Finally, the Champions League trophy is back in MU's hands after a long time coming. Football, the game where big men cry and bigger men defy the odds to lift the crown. Hurray MU for the double.. Premier League champions and Champions League kings!

No comments: